How to Change Name on Social Security Card

This website is a private entity and is not affiliated with or endorsed by the U.S. Government or Social Security Administration (SSA). The SSA provides free Social Security forms, publications and assistance.

You will have to contact the Social Security Administration and request a name change for your account. The SSA representative will inform you of:

  • The documents you will need
  • The ways you can initiate this change; in person, by mail, online
  • How long it will take to have the change made
  • Any other information or requirements you will need to meet

Depending upon the method used to request a new card with the name change, it can take as many as ten business days to receive your new card with the correct name.

Changing your name after marriage? Be forewarned, however, because there’s a lot to cover than just your Social Security card. If you’re already feeling overwhelmed, we strongly recommend outsourcing all the work. That’s right—there’s a service that’ll handle most of your name change tasks for you. (We’re talking all the research and paperwork-filling you’re probably dreading.) It’s called, and its team of experts is well-versed in each state’s specific rules and regulations, so they’ll have no trouble navigating the procedures for you.’s packages start at just $18.95.

Changing Name on a Social Security Card

No matter how you are applying, the first thing you will need to do is locate your local Social Security office and get their mailing address. In order to do this, you can call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.

Whether you complete the application online, in person or by hand, you will need to provide a certain set of documents to the Social Security Administration. This set of documents is the same no matter what method you use to apply.

Documents Required for a Name Change

To begin with all documents given to the Social Security Administration must be original documents or if they are copies, they must come from the issuing agency and certified by that agency. No copies, even notarized copies or receipts for requested copies will be accepted by the SSA.

Your documentation should prove your legal name change, your U.S. citizenship and your identity.

Legal Name Change requires one of these:

  • Marriage Certificate and License
  • Divorce Decree
  • Court Order

U.S. Citizenship requires one of these:

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Passport

Identification requires one of these:

  • Must be current, include name, date of birth or age, recent photo.
  • State I.D. or Driver’s License
  • U.S. Passport

If for any reason you cannot produce these documents, you may use:

  • Health Insurance Card other than Medicare
  • Employee I.D.
  • Military I.D.
  • School I.D.

You must have at least one document with a current photo.
If you changed your name over two years ago or the documents, you provide do not identify you well enough you will also have to show documentation of your name prior to the change.

Initiating the Change

  • Online – You cannot apply online, but you can initiate the process.
    • Download and print the following PDF
    • Fill in all the requested information.
    • Sign the SS5 form.
    • Attach the documents listed above and mail them into the Social Security Administration.

Once you mail your packet with SS-5 and your original documents it will take 10-14 days for your new card to come in the mail and your original documents will be returned.

  • In person at your local Social Security Administration Office
    • Locate your local SSA office online or call 1-800-772-1213
    • Compile all the documents mentioned above.
    • Take the competed, signed application form and compiled documentation to the local SSA office and meet with a representative.

Once you have filed your application and documentation with the local SSA office it will take about 10 business days to receive your new card and original documents in the mail.


If you have never established citizenship prior to this request, you will need to do so now.  This is simply a matter of presenting additional documents to prove your identity and legal status in the United States. This would be your current immigration documents and the reason you need a Social Security Number and card.
If you are not a citizen you will need these documents to prove status, work eligibility, identity and name change.

  • Lawful Permanent Resident Card – Form 1-551.
  • Employment Authorization Document – Form I-766.
  • Arrival/Departure Record – I-94
  • Students must show F-1 or M-1 and Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status
  • J-1 or J-2 Students must show DS-2019 – Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

If you are married to a same sex partner the same procedures would apply. You both have the same options as opposite sex couples in respect to Social Security Spousal benefits.

State by State Instructions